Thursday, April 21, 2016

Passover

If you are wanting to celebrate the death and resurrection of Jesus, Passover is the time to do it because that is when it happened. This year, 2016, Passover is on April 22. The first Passover is written about in Exodus 12. This is also when God changed their calendar and said that the month of Nissan would now be the first month for them. It was a new beginning; they were leaving the land of Egypt. The first days of Nissan leading up to the Passover are called the Days of Separation. It is a time for us to separate ourselves from the things of the world and concentrate on hearing from God. The Jews in Exodus 12 were to get rid of all the leaven out of their homes. Leaven represents sin. This is a time for us to examine ourselves and see if there are any areas in our lives that we have let sin enter in and get it out. This is what Jesus was doing in John 2:13-17. He was getting the leaven out of His house at the time of Passover.

Obviously, today, we are not going to celebrate that Passover in the same way they did in Exodus 12. We are not going to sacrifice any animals, etc. There is no need for animal sacrifice because Jesus became our sacrificial lamb. Abraham prophesied of that in Genesis 22:8. Isaac asked where the lamb was and Abraham told him that God would provide himself a lamb. In 1 Corinthians 5:7 Jesus is called our Passover. But just because we would celebrate it differently now, doesn't mean we should not celebrate it at all. Without Passover there would be no salvation.

There is so much symbolism in Exodus 12 that points to Jesus. Even in the traditional Passover meal you see Jesus everywhere if you keep you heart open. I am not going to go into all the symbolism of the meal. There are webpages galore that you can research, but I will tell you a story from a Passover meal in which I participated.

Many years ago, my family along with another family decided that we wanted to have a Passover meal together. It was a great experience! So, one of the things you eat is horseradish. Well, I hate anything hot and had never put horseradish in my mouth ever. So, I put this horseradish in my mouth and thought that someone had lit me on fire. I started to get up and run to the bathroom, but then I thought, what am I gonna do in there? I'm sure I had a look of panic on my face and they told me later that when I breathed out my nose it caused a red mustache. They told me to take a bite of the haroset.  (This consists of nuts, apple, and a wine mixture that bears resemblance to straw. This reminds the Jews of the materials and the mortar used to build the Treasure cities for the Pharaoh.  The only thing that kept them going through all the cruelty was a bleak line of hope that they would be 'delivered' to the Promised Land. Our friends had made and brought the haroset.) I am telling you, it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life! The exact second I put that in my mouth, the burning was completely gone. So, we talked about how the horseradish represents the sting of sin and death and how the haroset represents the deliverance from a life of sin through Jesus. And how when we give our lives over to Jesus and fully accept Him into our lives to serve and follow Him, the sting of sin and death immediately leaves us. It was an experience I will never forget as long as I live.

There are so many other things that can be said about Passover being all about Jesus (and I have an in depth study if anyone is interested in seeing that, you can just contact me) but for now, I would just like to mention one more thing:
There is no way that Jesus could have died on "good Friday" and risen on Sunday morning. Matthew 12:40 says
For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
Friday night                  Saturday day
Saturday night              Sunday day.........we already have a problem
Do some studying. It does matter!
II Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Grace and peace,
Renee'

No comments:

Post a Comment