Tuesday, May 3, 2016

What Chores and Allowance Can Teach About Faith and Works

My mom remarried right before I started high school. We were sitting down one day discussing how this new family was going to work and what would be expected of me etc. My new step dad was telling me what my allowance would be and what chores I would be expected to do. I thought I had it understood and said that if I didn't do my chores then I wouldn't get my allowance, right? He said that there is no not doing chores. You do chores because you are a part of this family. You get allowance because you are a part of this family. I still wanted to know what would happen if I didn't do my chores and he still informed me that I would do my chores.

What he was saying was that because I was a part of the family, I would do chores to help the family work better. If I did not want to help make the family work better, then I was saying that I did not want to be a part of this family and was willing to go out and fend for myself.

I didn't do anything to deserve to be in this family and I wasn't doing chores to earn my way into the family. I was there freely as a gift, but as a member of the family, I was required to do chores.

There is much similarity with the family of God. Salvation is a gift that you receive by grace through faith. Then, once you are in God's family, you must have works. Without the works, your faith is dead. (James 2:17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. 18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.) If you don't have works to add to your faith, you are saying that you don't want to be a part of this family and you will just go and fend for yourself.

Just as my step dad told me what he wanted me to do, God will tell you what your part in His family it. Get before Him and ask Him what you can do to help the family work better.

Your chores don't always stay the same. As you learn and grow, you are able and required to take on more responsibility. Let's find out what God wants us to do and do it.

Grace and peace,
Renee'
 

No comments:

Post a Comment